1. The opening scene
2. The atmosphere
I always associate this movie with summer because it does such a good job of conveying how hot it was at the time of this incident. I could watch it in the dead of winter and it would still make me feel like I should be turning on a fan.
3. Gale Sondergaard’s piercing looks of disdain
That is the fiercest glare I have ever witnessed.
4. This shot:
5. Bette Davis’ acting in the scene where Leslie’s lawyer reads the incriminating letter aloud.
6. The wind chimes.
7. Mrs. Hammond’s entrance when Leslie has come to see her.
8. All the shots of the moon.
9. The knives.
10. The fact that this movie gave us one of my favorite behind-the-scenes pictures.
Bette Davis with her stand-in.